I am responsible and practical to a fault. I like to keep things in a ridiculous state of tightly-controlled order and cleanliness. Some people may refer to such a person as a “control freak.” I also have a toddler and a baby. You can probably imagine how well those things mesh together.
I find that I am constantly wishing I could “let go” more. Every day I have to remind myself to choose my battles and let my children make mistakes, get dirty, make a mess of the house, just be kids! So I’m putting down in writing this bucket-list of things I want to do with my children. I’m publicly committing myself to not just allowing, but encouraging, these activities and all the mess and chaos and hassle that comes with them.
1) play outside in the rain
2) fill up the sandbox and teach them to make sand castles
3) go camping, in the backyard and for real
4) build Lego cities that take up the entire living room and let them keep said city up to play with for several days
5) do art projects involving paint, glue and even glitter. On a regular basis.
7) decorate Christmas cookies with lots of frosting and sprinkles
8) dye Easter eggs
9) let them help me cook dinner
10) build blanket forts in the living room